Hi guys! My beef empanadas has been a sucess with many of you. So, by popular demand, I’m showing you how to make Chicken empanadas from scratch. These are full of flavor and easy to make. You can also bake these Empanadas.
FOLLOW ME HERE, GUYS!
For the empanada dough recipe:
2-1/4 cup all purpose flour
8 Tbsp cold butter, cut in small cubes
1 tsp salt
1 large egg
1 Tbsp white distilled vinegar
1/2 cup cold water (more or less )
For the filling:
3 Tbsp corn oil or other vegetable oil
1 lb chicken breast
1 small onion, diced
1 cubannelle pepper, diced
1 plum tomato, chopped
1/2 tsp garlic paste or 2 minced garlic cloves
1 tsp white distilled vinegar
3 Tbsp tomato paste
1 knorr chicken bouillon
1 package of sazon (the orange package)
1/2 cup poaching liquid or chicken stock
Mozzarella cheese or cheese of choice, optional
More oil for frying
NOTE: if you don’t want to fry them , brush them with egg wash and bake at 400 F for 25-30 minutes 🙂
1. Sift flour into a large bowl, add salt and mix together, blend in butter with your fingertips or a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
2. Beat together egg, water, and vinegar in a small bowl with a fork. Add to flour mixture, use your hand and mix in the bowl until it forms a dough. Knead it a little until the dough comes together.
3. Flatten the dough and chill, wrapped in plastic wrap, at least 1 hour.
4. To make the chicken filling; in a pan over medium heat, add oil and let it get hot. Add chopped veggies, garlic, and vinegar, stir and cook for 3-5. Add tomato paste, chicken bouillon and using your spoon dissolve them into the mixture. Add package of sazon and mix, add shrreded chicken and stir together until coated. Add poaching liquid and stir, cook until thickens a bit. Set aside to cool a little.
5. Roll out the dough into a thin sheet and cut out round disc shapes for empanadas (use round molds or a small plate).
6. To assemble the empanadas, place a spoonful of the chicken filling on the middle of each empanada disc. Add cheese if you want. Fold the disc and seal the edges by pressing the dough with a fork dipped in flour.
7. Heat oil in a pan over medium high heat, fry them until golden brown on both side. If the oil is too hot when frying, reduce to medium. Drain on paper towel, and serve right away!
To poach the chicken:
In a pot add chicken breast, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1 knorr chicken bouillon and 1-1/2 cups water, pinch salt. Stir everything together and dissolve bouillon cube. Bring to a boil, bring heat to low, cover and pouch for 30-45 minutes.