Who doesn’t love pizza especially if made in bite size shapes. Homemade buttery dough filled with pizza toppings, rolled into small treats and served hot is simply hard to resist. These pizza pinwheels make a great appetizer for any family gathering or party.
To print the recipe check the full recipe on my blog:
Pizza sauce recipe:
Makes about 32 pinwheels
3 cups (375g) all-purpose flour
7 oz (200g) butter, chilled, cut in small cubes
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup (55 ml) milk
10g fresh yeast (1 tsp active dry yeast)
1/4 tsp (1g) salt
Tomato Pizza Sauce
1 cup (100g) Mozzarella cheese, grated
1/2 cup (50g) Parmesan cheese
3 oz (80g) Pepperoni slices
1 small egg, beaten
fresh basil leaves
1. Dissolve the fresh yeast in the milk. In a large bowl whisk flour and salt. Add butter and using a fork or a pastry cutter cut the butter until the pieces are no bigger than peas.
2. Add dissolved yeast and eggs over the flour mixture. Knead until all flour is incorporated.
3. Cover with plastic and refrigerate for about 1-2 hours to let the yeast develop.
4. Meanwhile prepare the tomato pizza sauce. Recipe here:
5. Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
6. On a floured surface divide dough into two pieces. Roll each piece into a 15×10 inch (40x25cm) rectangular.
7. Spread tomato pizza sauce, half of Mozzarella Cheese, Parmesan cheese and pepperoni slices on each piece of dough.
8. Roll the dough and cut 1 inch (2.5 cm) slices.
9. Place the rolls on parchment paper lined baking sheets. Brush with beaten egg.
10. Bake for 20 minutes until lightly golden brown.
11. Serve with tomato pizza sauce and fresh basil leaves.